giovedì 17 ottobre 2013

The bus chronicles

Ok so, as you might have figured out already, I'm on the bus.

I'm going back to my appartment from my parents' place to pack my things for London... Leaving tomorrow morning.

This bus is the one high school kids take from all the surrounding towns to get to those few, far away schools this area has to offer.

From scientific high-schools (just like the one I attended what now seems to be a life and a half ago) to professional training schools for restaurant staff and hotellerie (I suppose I should keep the French word for it... Just to have that certain je ne sais quoi).

All the students get off the bus on the third and fourth stop and at the fifth most of the people that work in the city hops on, so in a 5 minutes time both the average age and the main topics change drammatically...

I am, I think, between the two groups agewise, so I really have no comments on that except for "Lady, for crying out loud, buy pants that reach your ankles: this is not a fishing trip!" Or "Boys, for your own sake and the sake of your penis: learn the magic of deodorant!".

But what I wanted to write about is more the shift of topics/language we had here.

First of all boys seem to be mute this early in the morning, while girls had a lot to share: we had "new cell phone so I need all the numbers back... Mainly that guy's" and "are you coming tomorrow? I hear there will be a strike so we won't go in I might as well stay in bed..." ( just so you know here students'strikes aren't protests about the money cuts to education or unemployment or the lack of updating in the teaching programs... They are about the heaters being off - when it's 27 degrees outside - or the lack of vending machines in the hallways. Sorry, no more peace marches here... My heart is breaking) or, to resume our topic, my very favourite " if that bitch gets on do not let her seat next to me... I'll pretend I'm sleeping".

Change of passengers change of focus: most of them are sleeping and those 2/3 that aren't talked about " have you heard how early the tickets office closes at the bus station??? How can they do that? ( btw we have tickets machines as well so they could just buy the tickets there with no need for an office)" and "can you believe what are they asking me to do? I already givethem 8hours of my day I need time to enjoy my life!" and now they are reading and commenting today's paper with a series of "can you believe this?" "I knew this was going to happen" "I am not surprised" " All polititians are the same" and "Have you heard about that guy that killed his ex? He was the neighbour/cousin/relation of someone".

So now you have a panoramic view of what is like to take a bus from the middle of nowhere across a bunch of nobody towns.

Remember I am writing this from the bus, so be nice to my spelling!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento