sabato 26 marzo 2016

On unrequited love

Every single one of us has fallen, if not many times like myself, at least once in love with someone who didn’t reciprocate or (yes, sadly enough) with someone who never knew.

It isn’t anyone’s prerogative nor my exclusive, we have all had that experience. And if you are shaking your head and thinking you didn’t well… you are a big fat liar.

It might have been that guy a few years ahead of you in school, your best friend’s band mate, your friend’s drinking buddy, your teacher, your neighbour… You see where I’m going with this, right?
But how do we stop it? How can we prevent ourselves from falling for who hasn’t fallen for us…
We can’t.

We are bound to repeat ourselves over and over until we find someone who would break the circle…
He (or she depending on what’s your fancy) has to be patient and be really really really really into you, because nobody else would bother to stick around.

I will give you the piece of advice I have been given by those around me who love me: give up.

Or, better, give IN.

Stop trying to analyse it, don’t compare yourself, don’t wait around for the next person to be with him/her just to be able to justify your actions with yourself ( “See? It wasn’t meant to be… He found someone else and she deserves him more”).
And if “being yourself” is what led you here, go be someone new.


Now… How do I follow my own advice? Any advices?



"But what about the rest of us? What about our stories, those of us who fall in love alone? We are the victims of the one sided affair. We are the cursed of the loved ones. We are the unloved ones, the walking wounded. The handicapped without the advantage of a great parking space! Yes, you are looking at one such individual. And I have willingly loved that man for over three miserable years! The absolute worst years of my life! The worst Christmas', the worst Birthday's, New Years Eve's brought in by tears and valium. These years that I have been in love have been the darkest days of my life. All because I've been cursed by being in love with a man who does not and will not love me back. Oh god, just the sight of him! Heart pounding! Throat thickening! Absolutely can't swallow! All the usual symptoms. I understand feeling as small and as insignificant as humanly possible. And how it can actually ache in places you didn't know you had inside you." (The Holiday)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento